Bahman Shakibi known as Shakib, who is in the first row of the best singers, composers and songwriters of Iran.
He was born on 4th of Bahman 1369 and until now the majority of Iranian people and Iranians who have immigrated know him and are supporters of him.
Now they want to give some tips to those loved ones who are very interested in music.
Important exercises that you should do before you start playing.
Planning in learning and how to properly practice playing is one of the most important learning factors for any instrument that should be considered at the beginning. Proper use of the instrument from time to time is one of the most important factors that make your progress in playing more effective.
Professor Jerry Coker, one of the great musicians and a talented saxophone player, a university professor and also the author of more than 20 books in the field of jazz music, has useful theories about the methods of practicing music, the important points of which are mentioned here:
Professor Jerry Coker believes that an artist should practice regularly and practice at least 75 minutes a day for success.
My advice for a more productive workout:
• Practice steps and arpeggios for 15 minutes.
• First, to enter the world of music, practice a quiet melody that you like for 5 minutes.
• Practice melodic or riff patterns for 10 minutes.
• Improvise on new melodies with chords for 5 minutes.
• Work for 15 minutes on removing the melody from the tape or CD, this is called Transcription.
• Work on your serious weaknesses for 10 minutes. For example, if you are weak in some steps or have problems with high speeds, address them.
• Spend 15 minutes learning a new song that includes melody and harmony analysis.
Important points that a musician should follow:
- Before practicing the instrument, try to warm up your hand. Do not perform a difficult or technical part at the beginning of the exercise, in many cases, not paying attention to this point will cause a lot of pressure on the muscles and even cause stretching in the muscles; One of the very good methods is to perform steps and arpeggios at a very low speed and then choose a simple piece to start the practice.
- One of the mistakes that students and musicians may make is that they suddenly stop practicing and move on to something else, while it is better to define the beginning and end of your practice and not to try to end the practice by performing technical pieces. And to finish with a speed, it is better to let the fingers return to a relaxed state before starting the exercise, so we end the exercise by performing a soft piece such as Andante or Adagio.
- In addition to the previous points, we should note that a professional musician attaches great importance to his hands, so we also think professionally and play the instrument professionally, and before starting to practice with the instrument, we must do some stretching exercises and try to By softening the fingers, prepare them for training.
- After every hard workout or during a certain period of time, for example, get up for 15 minutes and do stretching exercises for a few minutes and breathe deeply to give yourself new energy. One of the points that many students forget is breathing during the piece! Let’s try to learn with the help of our teacher at what times and in what parts you should breathe, this point shows its effects in high-speed pieces and for a long time and brings a lot of fatigue. Injury is not only the feeling of pain in the muscles, but fatigue caused by not breathing properly while playing is also one of the injuries that will have bad effects on your body in the long run.
- After the exercises, try a series of stretching exercises to reduce the pressure on the muscles. Using warm water and massaging fingers is one of the very good methods for this.
- One of the bad habits in playing is not to set aside a certain amount of time for your exercises, and even worse, to do a short practice every few hours with high intensity on the instrument and then go to other things and do this during Time to repeat several times. Apart from not making a proper progress in playing the muscles and the body, they also react to this type of training, which increases their vulnerability.
- The practice is not only physical, instead of playing the instrument with only the muscles, before starting any practice, whether it is a step or a piece, we prepare our mind for the practice by looking at the note of the desired piece. With mental exercises, we can use our exercises with less pressure and higher efficiency. Many famous musicians have been unable to play the instrument due to this excessive pressure, so let’s not forget to take care of the body.
According to many contemporary virtuosos such as Glenn Gould, an hour of mental practice has more effect on the skill of playing an instrument than hours of physical practice.
- Enjoy practicing. Practicing is not only about making deafening and meaningless sounds, but we should try to diversify our exercises and practice with a smile and without any special tension in the jaw and face muscles.
- A professional musician is someone who, even when he makes a mistake, treats the audience as if nothing had happened and continues his work with a certain calmness. A mistake in performance is not one of the points or forgetting something strange and unbearable, and many of the most prominent musicians in the world also make mistakes in their performances, but the difference between them and other musicians is in how they deal with this issue. One of the ways to solve this problem (frowning or clenching your teeth) is to keep your mouth open while playing; You may be a bit strange, but it is a completely practical and scientific method, and apart from that, it helps a lot to improve the respiratory condition. Of course, preventive and relaxing techniques can also be used, such as music kinesiology techniques – Alexander techniques and yoga or tai chi are very effective.
- Let’s not forget sports. Sports such as cycling, swimming, and hiking are very useful. But sports such as bodybuilding are not suitable for players of musical instruments such as guitar and piano due to disturbing the balance between the muscles of the fingers, but aerobic sports are more suitable due to increasing blood circulation and increasing the rate of breathing.
- The most important point in practice and in playing in general is to have a goal. To practice each piece, each etude, and each step, specify the goal and points you want from it. Exercises based on habit or compulsion cause the most mental damage.
- And the last point: we should never think that we don’t want to be a professional musician, and if we only practice for a few hours today, there is no need to observe these issues. Observing these points is the first condition of playing any instrument.